I have an app on my phone for the Web site ‘the bump’ where other pregnant ladies, moms, those trying to conceive, etc can gather in forums and share information, feelings, excitement. I don’t ever post, but just read through to see different things I am relating to.
One thing EVERYONE talks about is finding out the gender of the baby. I’ve seen a ton of references to old wives tales and what results they got, so we’ve decided to put it to the test!!
I found a site with some Old Wives Tales listed, here. I haven’t gotten through all of them quite yet, but plan on updating with all of the results. So here we go!
1. According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.
2. Craving ice cream every single day? Some people believe this means it’s a girl. If you have to have salty or sour stuff, then it’s a boy.
3. This ancient method uses your age at conception and the month you did the deed to determine gender.
4. Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby’s sex by looking at the mother’s age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one’s even and one’s odd, it’s a boy.
5. This is one for a friend to try. Place a key in front of your preggo friend and ask her to pick it up. If she grabs it by the narrow part, she’s in for sugar and spice and all that. If she picks it up by the round part, it’s snips and snails.
SOMEONE NEEDS TO SNEAK THIS – but it seems bogus to me.
6. If you’re breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother’s beauty, hence, those annoying zits.
7. Pop off your wedding ring — if you still can! — and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy’s in your future. If it goes back and forth, you’ve got a girl.
HAVE TO FIND SOME STRING – STILL NO STRING!
8. Sick as a dog during the first trimester — or still? Signs indicate you’re having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy.
9. Baking Soda Test – pee on some baking soda in a cup, if it sizzles, a boy and if it doesn’t a girl. Some say there is more acid in your body if you’re carrying a boy
I’m looking into a few more and I will update the blog. I just stumbled onto a site with 51! holy moley. I’ve heard a lot about a baking soda test as well.
But to sum up my current findings: EVEN! ha. Stay tuned for more :O)
According to my results, it seems to be Girl winning, BUT this is not by a landslide. And I still haven’t found some string. 1.5 weeks till we’re sure :o)